Saturday, September 1, 2012

Book Reviewing Troper

If you've been following my book reviews you'll notice I'll use terms such as 'big bad' and 'idiot ball' and 'translator microbes' with links to a site called 'TvTropes'. This is because I find them useful phrases, but more importantly, it's because I've been assimilated into the Troper Hive Mind.

I discovered the site back in college.  It was both entertaining and enlightening.  Entertaining because despite being a encyclopedic reference it uses casual and engaging language. Enlightening because it zapped any pretensions I had to originality and thus freed me to enjoy the building blocks of fiction without fear.

Five or so years later I'm expanding the site's literature section with the books I review. TVTropes is a Gateway Drug and so I can lead my fellow tropers to those books in the hopes they will enjoy them as much as I did.  The following pages have been created by me so far:
1. Trapped On Draconica
2. Light And Dark The Awakening Of The MageKnight
3. The Shadow of Black Wings

The last one is the most recent one written by James Calbraith. A troper named dsana has been helping me fill it out. Its gathered an amazing 31 inbounds in two days. Perhaps more since I checked. I'll read its sequel in the near future because I like the characters and the world they live in. It's already out but I have out books to review before I can get to it.  Blood Skies by Steven Montano will likely be the next work to be assimilated.

I hope you will visit these pages and join our ranks. If you are a writer, there are many reasons why you should. See "Inspirational Monday-TvTropes" for more information.

2 comments:

  1. It's wonderful that you are able to share your thoughts on the books you read--I am curious, though--are their any types of fantasy genre type programs that you like to watch on television? I LOVE to read, but every now and then I just have to veg out in front of the tube so I don't have to think anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a block of shows I watch every saturday at 11:00 PM on cartoon network. Its called "Toonami". The first one on the list is solidly fantasy but the rest are science-fiction.

      Delete