Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Spiral - Bonds of Reasoning, volume 1

I found this at my local library when I was looking for a different series entirely. I picked it up on a whim. I'm glad I did because I like it. 

This is a mystery series. It focuses on Ayumu Narumi, the younger brother of a famous detective. Said famous detective went missing researching the mystery of "The Blade Children", and the first chapter opens with Ayumu unwittingly getting involved in a case connected to these "Blade Children". 

There are three mysteries here, and the first two are presented in full. The third is a cliffhanger. I feel like this might be a thing going forwards, and that annoys me. I don't like cliffhangers. However, I get the feeling that this is not a hanging-from-the-cliff sort of cliffhanger. It feels more like a commercial break prior to The Summation. Like in Detective Conan, the show would present all the clues, indicate that Conan has solved the mystery, and then give the audience time to figure it out on their own. So in that case, the cliffhanger is fine. 

The mysteries are fine, suspenseful and clever and all, but what I like is Ayumu's supporting cast. I feel like Ayumu's interactions with the people in his life are where this manga shines.  The way Ayumu bickers with and yet shows concern for Madoka, one would think they would were blood-siblings rather than sibling-in-laws (Madoka being the wife of his missing older brother).  Also, his interactions with his sidekick, Hiyono, are always entertaining. Truly, they are my favorite part of this manga. It is a classic Energetic Girl and Savvy Guy pair, but it is greater than that. Hiyono, for instance, initially struck me as bubbly comedic relief; someone who would not contribute to the plot itself. She's actually really good at intel gathering, and Ayumu relies on her to find the information he needs to solve these cases. 

The art looks good. Hiyono is adorable, but the art style itself isn't focused on being cute, so it can look solid and/or serious as necessary for the right mood. 

If I had to point out a flaw, then it would be the lack of information about the "Blade Children". There is no information about them other than Ayumu's brother going missing searching about them, and something nebulous about a curse. This series doesn't show any other supernatural elements, so I'm not sure if this "curse" is really a legitimate curse. 

It feels like a macguffin, you know? Just something to link the mysteries together into one story. From what is in this volume alone, I get the impression the mystery of the Blade Children will never be solved. 

Trickster Eric Novels gives Spiral - Bonds of Reasoning, volume 1 a B+

Click here for my next book review: Sword Art Online Girls' Ops volume one

Click here for my previous book review: Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes

Brian Wilkerson is a independent novelist, freelance book reviewer, and writing advice blogger. He studied at the University of Minnesota and came away with bachelor degrees in English Literature and History (Classical Mediterranean Period concentration).

His fantasy series, Journey to Chaos, is currently available on Amazon as an ebook or paperback.

No comments:

Post a Comment