Wednesday, February 23, 2022

A Certain Scientific Accelerator V2

Find new stories at your local library! I found this one at mine. I read the first volume some time ago, so I was interested in picking up this second one. 

This feels like an episode. That is my impression of it. This volume is the content of one episode. The first several chapters are about one scene, which is mostly an action set-piece. It doesn't feel as though much happens for the first half of the volume. Then the pace picks up. It is like the event in the hospital was the trigger to set something big into motion. So, in hindsight, it was a good thing to make it a big event space-wise; give it significance. 

So, this volume struggled to hold my attention in the first couple chapters, but then attained a firm grip mid-way through. 

It was certainly interesting enough to make me want to look up specific terms used here. Anti-skill, Disciplinary Action, Dark Side of Academy City, I wanted to know more about these terms because I wanted to understand the volume better. I don't recall them coming up much in A Certain Magical Index, which is what I am more familiar with. 

Last Order is cute, like always. 

Estele is a good choice of foil/partner for Accelerator. A kind necromancer working with the brutal esper makes for interesting dialogue and comparisons. 

Trickster Eric Novels gives "A Certain Scientific Accelerator V2" a C+


Click here for my next book review:  No Game No Life volume 6 (read for fun)

Click here for my previous book review:   The Monsters Know What They're Doing

Brian Wilkerson is an independent novelist, freelance book reviewer, and writing advice blogger. He studied at the University of Minnesota and came away with bachelor's degrees in English Literature and History (Classical Mediterranean Period concentration).

His fantasy series, Journey to Chaos, is currently available on Amazon as an ebook or paperback.

No comments:

Post a Comment