Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Nature Walk by My Home - Winter 2023

Nature walks are wonderful, regardless of the season.

After work today, I closed up my work computer, put on my shoes and coat, and then headed out the front door for a nature walk. There is a trail next to my house that wraps around a lake. It has other paths, but I chose to stick close to the lake so I wouldn't get lost. Sunset was due in about 20 minutes. I planned it that way, so I could watch the sun go down. 

It was beautiful. This gradient of purple, yellow and then blue up to the sky; these bands of color stretching as far as I could see. I stopped to watch it several times. I turned around to look at it from the other direction. Red and orange, more vibrant and brilliant than the other side, sliding beneath trees and out of side. I wanted to see it all. 

The front lake provided a great platform to see it all. Yes, I walked out onto a frozen lake. I think that is the first time I did that. At least, such that I can remember. At first, I thought it was this big open area that I hadn't seen before. No, it was the lake and/or pond that I had passed by before on previous walks. The abundant snow and all the tracks through that snow disguised the pond as this surprise area. So, I walked across it for the experience, a new experience. It was pretty exciting. 

I was not the only one out and about. I passed by a handful of people walking the trail from other directions. I said "hi" as we crossed paths. There was even a guy out on a larger lake playing fetch with his dog. I didn't want my own walk to end quite yet, so I crossed this lake too, and I picked a steeper area of the bank to ascend back to the path. I wanted to experience that so I could better emulate the experience for my characters.

I'm writing a couple fantasy novels right now, and I've discovered that I am lacking tactile experience with certain environments. One cast is going through a forest, a deep and dense forest. What I have nearby isn't nearly a match, but I still enjoy it. I enjoy filling in those gaps, for the help it does for my writing, but also for the experience itself. When I arrived back at the housing area, I avoided the pavement for a steep and snowy area on the lake bank, just to prolong the walk a little longer. My socks stayed remarkably dry, considering I wasn't wearing boots and was up to my knees in snow. 

It was a new experience, the whole walk. The change in season made all the difference. It's like the theme song for Pokemon's first season in the Johto region, 

"It's a whole new world we live in. It's a whole new way to see. It's a whole new place, with a brand-new attitude, but you still gotta catch'em all, and be the best that you can be!"

To read about my spring nature walk in 2020, click here

Brian Wilkerson is an independent novelist, freelance book reviewer, and writing advice blogger. He studied at the University of Minnesota and came away with bachelor's degrees in English Literature and History (Classical Mediterranean Period concentration).

His fantasy series, Journey to Chaos, is currently available on Amazon as an ebook or paperback.

No comments:

Post a Comment