Sunday, May 6, 2012

The sixth chapter is up

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3008794/6/Journey_To_Chaos_part_1_A_Mages_Power

In this chapter Eric goes on his first official mission with his new team and settles into his new life. There's plenty of mundane boredom for the novice mercenary but also dangerous realities.

This chapter was in the works since the beginning. I watched this one show, it was on Discovery I think, where part of the cast's job was monitoring a community of local birds. I wanted to put a mercenary spin on that. I felt it would be a good way to establish the kind of drudgery that novice mercenaries had to do while providing time for the new team to bond.

Its also the chapter for their first "boss fight". As the book was inspired to a large extent by video games I had fun writing that. It also provided for great character development because the three respond in different ways.

Finally, in the most recent edit, I took the advice of a published author I encountered on twitter and added a weather element to the scene. He said it would help the atmosphere and it certainly did. I'm surprised how well it worked actually.

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment