Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pros and Cons of Escapism

Today's post relates to last week's post about the dichotomy of The Protagonist and deals more precisely on my views concerning escapism.  In a nutshell, my feelings are complicated.

Disclaimer: This my personal opinion. I mean no offense to anyone else's opinion.

On the one hand, it offends my sensibilities as a novelist. I don't like the idea that my novels (or the novels of others) are used as a disposable hiding place. It gives me a feeling of 'tissue paper' or, worse, 'toliet paper'; covered with crunge to provide temporary relief. This practice equates the novel to a feel-good drug that ultimately does nothing but harm to the user.

On the other hand, I DO like the idea that my novels (or the novels of others) could provide such relief to someone in need of it.  Life can be very hard and a disposable hiding place could make it tolerable. This practice equates the novel to cough syrup, something which dampens pain while the user works to overcome the source of the pain.

Originally, only the first paragraph described my feelings about escapism. When I was younger my perception of the world was much narrower, and so my feelings on most subjects in real life were informed by what I saw in real life (other people like me) and online (varied).  When I thought of escapism I thought of people whose only problems were boredom and laziness. I figured they played games, read stories, etc. in which they could insert themselves to relieve this boredom. I thought of Audience Surrogates who were fawned over by many beautiful girls (because the audience was too shy to talk to any in real life) or defeated demons (because they couldn't handle 'demons' in real life) and other wish fulfillment that shadowed what they wanted in real life, but were unwilling to seek in real life. They just wanted those things handed to them through a vicarious puppet; no challenge, no action, and no chance to fail, just easy fulfillment. 

This idea stayed with me when I decided to become a novelist, and the thought of pandering to this sort of audience to make a living made me ill.  Then I found the following quote on Tvtropes. Believe it or not, it was on the trope page for In-universe escapism, that is, escapism for the characters in the story.

Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?
J. R. R. Tolkien, "On Fairy Stories" lecture, 1939

I didn't bother arguing with this point because I couldn't think of a valid point to argue. If I was imprisoned without hope of release or escape then I would certainly want to immerse myself in a more pleasant environment, even if it was imaginary. My problem with escapism comes from those that are not imprisoned or facing similarly harsh circumstances. The reason for this is summed up in this line from "The Oatmeal" website. I found it on the Tvtropes page for Escapist Character.

"By creating this "empty shell," the character becomes less of a person and more of something a female reader can put on and wear."
-The Oatmeal, 'How Twilight Works'

I don't want to write stuff like that and so Eric Watley is not a pair of pants for the reader to wear. I think I offended a few people who started reading "A Mage's Power" with this idea in mind. They're introduced to Tasio the Trickster at the start of the book, who speaks to the reader. Then they are introduced to Eric. Tasio laughs at Eric and tells the reader how pathetic Eric is. If a reader was identifying with Eric, expecting him to be their surrogate in the fictional world, then they might get the idea that Tasio was mocking them, i.e. that I, the author, was mocking them. That is totally not what I was trying to do in the first chapter of "A Mage's Power". 

My goal for the book was for Eric to better himself and become a stronger person without leaning on magic or a flock of beautiful admirers. It was a self-imposed challenge.  I had never heard the word "isekai" when I conceived this book. My influences at the time were General Shonen Anime, not Japanese light novels, so Eric was supposed to be the opposite of that. However, if someone were to follow Eric's journey and benefit in the same way then I would be thrilled. 

If the world that the reader escapes to is one that empowers them when they leave, then I see nothing wrong with escapism. If the world that the reader escapes to is devoid of the trauma that otherwise plagues them, I see nothing wrong with escapism. If the world that the reader escapes to entertains them in their leisure hours, then I see nothing wrong with escapism. It is when escaping to the fictional world becomes a means of avoiding problems that the reader can, and really should, take care of, that escapism becomes a problem. 

Brian Wilkerson is a independent novelist, freelance book reviewer, and writing advice blogger. He studied at the University of Minnesota and came away with bachelor degrees in English Literature and History (Classical Mediterranean Period concentration).

His fantasy series, Journey to Chaos, is currently available on Amazon as an ebook or paperback.

No comments:

Post a Comment