Sunday, April 30, 2023

Nature Walk - April 2023. Relaxing and Inspiring

 I had a rough day the other day, earlier this month, so I decided to treat myself to a nature walk. It was the first thing I did when I got home. I parked my car and set off on the trail leading through the wooded area around a nearby lake. It was just what I needed. 

So peaceful and quiet. I could just walk and breathe and listen to nothing in particular. I could hear water running, ducks quacking and that was it. The leaves under my feet were too wet to crunch. After all the demands of me, of my attention and problem-solving, it was so nice to walk through a place that asked for nothing at all. It was a great way to decompress. 

And that's not all. 

This was a time of transition. After winter but before spring, there was no snow on the ground and only buds on the trees. It was the start of a time of renewal. It was invigorating to be amongst that. I couldn't see any buildings. The tree cover was enough that I could look forward and see only the path. It was so...not modern/urban/etc. that I could imagine walking around the bend and stepping into the Shire. That was a fun thing to imagine; to keep in my heart. 

That's still not all. 

There is this curved bridge that spans part of the lake, or an adjacent pond. I don't know how its divided. Anyway, I walked across this bridge, and I saw a person standing there. She had a camera. She was taking pictures and/or video of a duck on the pond. It was a nice little walk-by encounter; a thing that would only happen on that day and at that time. A special event for those present. 

By the time I made a loop around the lake, I felt refreshed. 

Brian Wilkerson is an independent novelist, freelance book reviewer, and writing advice blogger. He studied at the University of Minnesota and came away with bachelor's degrees in English Literature and History (Classical Mediterranean Period concentration).

His fantasy series, Journey to Chaos, is currently available on Amazon as an ebook or paperback.

No comments:

Post a Comment