Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Answering Review Request: "Tiny House Living"

Justin  Edwards asked me to read his book "tiny house living". It is a small book about living in a tiny house. This is not a novel and so my review scale will not be used. The grade at the end is the same.
This is outside my usual boundaries because I was interested in moving into a small place at the time and so I was eager for advice. This is a disappointment.

This books is basically "interior decorating for small houses". Most of it is about decorating the place. There's a lot about kind of paint to use in different rooms, which I couldn't care less about. There are many visual tricks to make the tiny place appear bigger, which contradicts the point he makes about the merits of tiny houses in another part of the book. There's this sense of the importance of aesthetics that I summarize as "even if you live in a tiny house, you can pretend that you live in a big one!". I put the exclamation point in there because that is part of the book's tone.

This is not to say there are no practical tips at all. On the contrary, the book starts out on the merits of small houses: less property tax, less maintenance, incentive to "clear out the clutter" and focus on what is truly important, and less hassle with zoning laws. My complaint is that this sort of talk disappears after the introduction.

This book is short; I read it in less than 30 minutes. Considering this length and (what I consider) a lack of valuable, and practical, information, I think this should be a 99 cent ebook. I wouldn't buy it for more than that.

Trickster Eric Novels gives "Tiny House Living" a D

This has been a free review request. I received nothing in exchange for it except a free copy of the book.

Click here for the next review request: Dragonfly

Click here for the previous review request: Heart of Stone

No comments:

Post a Comment